WPT Enterprises, Inc. Prevails Against World Poker Tour® Trademark & Copyright Infringers
WPT Enterprises, Inc., creator of the WORLD POKER TOUR® television show (NASDAQ: WPTE), has scored numerous intellectual property litigation victories in recent months, the company announced today. These victories reflect WPTE’s aggressive posture toward intellectual property protection against infringers in order to safeguard and enhance its valuable brands and image.
WPTE General Counsel Adam Pliska said in announcing the outcomes: "WORLD POKER TOUR is a globally recognizable brand, and we will aggressively police the misuse of our intellectual property, to ensure the quality control of satellite events and products associated with our first class series of poker events. WPTE will protect our brands and goodwill to sustain the loyalty of our poker fans, television viewers and consumers."
Working closely with its outside counsel, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, and the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group in Southern California, WPTE has prevailed in IP matters against a number of defendants, including:
- Ultimate Poker Challenge TV Show – Copyright and trademark infringement for use of WPTE footage and for superimposing the Ultimate Poker Challenge mark over the WORLD POKER TOUR mark.
- 5thstreet.proboards39.com – Copyright infringement of four WPT episodes, posted for "Bit Torrent" downloads.
- Playworldpokertour.net – Trademark domain name infringement matter.
- WagerLogic Ltd. – Trademark infringement relating to four trademark applications filed in Canada (Interpoker World Poker Tour, Wagerlogic World Poker Tour, Interpoker World Poker Tournament, and Wagerlogic World Poker Tournament).
- Mid-Ohio Super Satellite No Limit Championship – Trademark infringement relating to the tournament being falsely billed as an official WORLD POKER TOUR satellite tournament.
- World Poker Productions, Inc. - Trademark infringement for use of a name and a poker-related website, and in connection with the sale of instructional poker videos.
- Wpt.cl and Worldpokertour.cl – Trademark domain name infringement in Chile.
WPTE has taken action in these cases and secured agreeable settlements and/or court-ordered injunctive relief in order to avoid confusion among poker players, to prevent the proliferation of unauthorized 'knock-off' merchandise, and to protect against the dilution of and harm to its valuable copyrighted material, trademarks and strong brand," noted Robert S. Gerber, a partner in Sheppard Mullin's Intellectual Property practice group. "The company stands ready to pursue anyone, anywhere that attempts to misrepresent itself as affiliated with WPTE, trade on its valuable name and goodwill, violate its copyrighted material or other intellectual property, or otherwise harm its business interests."
About WPT Enterprises, Inc.
WPT Enterprises, Inc. is a company engaged in the creation of internationally branded entertainment and consumer products driven by the development, production, and marketing of televised programming based on gaming themes. WPTE is the creator of the World Poker Tour®, a television show based on a series of high-stakes poker tournaments that airs on the Travel Channel in the United States and more than one hundred markets globally. WPT Enterprises currently licenses its brand to companies in the business of poker equipment and instruction, apparel, publishing, electronic and wireless entertainment, DVD/home entertainment, casino games, and giftware. For show information, tools for improving poker play, and other WPT news, fans may log on to www.worldpokertour.com. The company is also engaged in the sale of corporate sponsorships. WPT Enterprises, Inc. is a majority owned subsidiary of Lakes Entertainment, Inc. (Nasdaq: LACO). Photos and media information can be found online at: www.worldpokertour.com.
About Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP is a full service AmLaw 100 firm with 430 attorneys in nine offices located throughout California and in New York and Washington, D.C. The firm's California offices are located in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Century City, Orange County, Del Mar Heights and San Diego. Sheppard Mullin provides legal expertise and counsel to U.S. and international clients in a wide range of practice areas, including Antitrust, Corporate and Securities; Entertainment and Media; Finance and Bankruptcy; Government Contracts; Intellectual Property; Labor and Employment; Litigation; Real Estate/Land Use; Tax/Employee Benefits/Trusts & Estates; and White Collar Defense. The firm was founded in 1927.