David R. Garcia is a partner in Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP's Century City office. He is a litigator with a broad background in complex civil litigation for major U.S. companies, including extensive class action and multidistrict litigation experience. His practice focuses on litigation and counseling in the areas of antitrust and securities with particular emphasis on the entertainment industry.
In the antitrust area, Mr. Garcia's practice has included extensive private litigation, client counseling in the mergers and acquisitions area and the representation of clients in connection with civil and criminal investigations by the Federal Trade Commission and the antitrust division of the U.S. Department of Justice. Mr. Garcia's antitrust practice has also included a particular focus on antitrust issues and litigation involving the entertainment industry and the media. His representations have included the Digital Cinema Initiative, a joint venture of the seven major motion picture studios created to deal with digital cinema issues, the Motion Picture Association of America, and the home video division of a major movie studio in connection with defending against a nationwide price fixing class action. His practice has also developed a focus on the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property issues on the internet, including monopolization litigation relating to patents and provision of internet services, and unfair competition issues in the context of copyright, trademark and patents. He has also done extensive counseling on vertical distribution issues in the internet industry, including advice concerning the distribution of visual media over the internet. His broad ranging antitrust litigation background includes major matters involving monopolization, price fixing conspiracies, group boycotts, state action immunity, contested mergers and trade associations.
Mr. Garcia's representation of media companies has also included general litigation beyond the antitrust area, including disputes involving participation in motion picture and cable television income streams, general copyright and trademark litigation and controversies over ownership rights in media properties.
His wide-ranging securities practice, first in New York and later in California, has included class action defense, the defense of derivative litigation on behalf of both individuals and companies, litigation arising out of mergers and acquisitions, and internal corporate investigations. He has also had extensive experience representing companies and individuals in investigations commenced by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Healthcare and Life Sciences Antitrust – The Year in Review and a Look Ahead to What You Need to Know for 2022Webinar, 02.24.2022
- Webinar, 04.27.2021
- Webinar, 04.14.2020
- Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City, 05.12.2016
- Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, Spring 2016
- Antitrust Issues Facing Healthcare in the Affordable Care Act Environment, 05.01.2014
- Healthcare and Life Sciences Antitrust – The Year in Review and a Look Ahead to What You Need to Know for 2022
- Nota Bene Episode 151: Benchmarking the Past Three Years of American Healthcare Consolidation with David Garcia
- Nota Bene Episode 86: Post-Pandemic International Competition Regulations that are Suddenly In Play with Leo Caseria, Jacques Derenne, David Garcia, and Bevin Newman
Foreign Language Bio
- International Reach
- Antitrust and Competition
- Entertainment, Technology and Advertising