Snehal Desai is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office. She is a Lead Associate of the Privacy and Cybersecurity Team and an active member of the Advertising Team, the Retail, Fashion, and Beauty Team, the Food and Beverage Team and the Technology & Commercial Transactions Team.
Areas of Practice
Snehal Desai helps companies launch cutting-edge products and services in an increasingly complex and demanding legal and regulatory environment. She is the go-to outside product and commercial counsel for some of the world’s most prominent technology, gaming, social media, fintech, healthcare, retail and food service companies.
During multiple secondments as in-house product and commercial counsel, Snehal gained a deep understanding of business operations and the effective balancing of legal requirements and business realities. She leverages that knowledge and experience to work directly with internal business units, from engineering, quality control, and product management to advertising, marketing and communication, on the full range of legal issues that come into play during the conception, development and implementation of a new product or service. In particular, Snehal advises on a wide range of issues including privacy and data protection, advertising and brand recognition, digital transformation and cloud computing arrangements, the integration of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning into products and services, and technology licensing and distribution arrangements. Snehal also provides guidance on the privacy, technology, and commercial aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint venture arrangements, financings, and divestitures.
Snehal’s experience includes:
Advertising: Snehal advises clients in conducting advertising campaigns, including environmental and sustainability claims, as well as other types of brand marketing claims. She also helps clients with the legal aspects of contests and sweepstakes and promotions.
Technology and Commercial Transactions: Snehal drafts and negotiates agreements regarding software, SaaS, technology services, logistics, marketing, outsourcing, intellectual property licensing, sourcing and distribution, procurement, strategic alliances, and other commercial and transactional matters.
Privacy and Data Protection: Snehal counsels clients on compliance with domestic and international privacy laws and regulations and helps clients implement compliance programs. She helps clients with drafting privacy policies and online terms of service for websites and mobile applications. She also counsels clients regarding cybersecurity breach response and best practices for mitigation.
Snehal is a passionate advocate for minority-owned small businesses and non-profits. She has an active pro bono practice focused on helping small businesses and non-profits with commercial contracts and privacy issues.
Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers, 2023-2024
- Law360, 03.09.2023
Consumer Finance and Fintech Blog Posts
- "CFPB Warns of Privacy Risks Arising from Automated Workplace Surveillance Technology," July 10, 2023
- "Fed Reports on Cybersecurity and Financial System Resilience," August 5, 2022
- "May 1st is Around the Corner: Bank Computer-Security Incident Notification Requirements," April 1, 2022
- "Lead Generator Settles with FTC Over Alleged FCRA and FTC Act Violations," January 13, 2022
Privacy Law Blog Posts
- "CARU Releases Metaverse Guidelines," October 26, 2023
- "California Judge Enjoins California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act," September 28, 2023
- "The Comprehensive Privacy Law Deluge: Updating Vendor Contracts," June 27, 2023
- "The Beehive State Joins the Buzz Around Minors and Social Media," April 12, 2023
- "Mobile Apps Beware!: California AG’s Current Privacy Sweep," February 13, 2023
- "CARU Strikes Again: Another Mixed-audience App Settles Over COPPA Allegations," September 27, 2022
- "FTC Continues Focus on Children’s Privacy," May 27, 2022
- "On the Clock: Cyber Incidents Notification Deadline Approaching for Banks," April 19, 2022
- "NYDFS Issues Cybersecurity Guidance in Response to Events in Ukraine," March 9, 2022
- "FTC Fines Lead Generation Company $1.5M Citing Misuse of Consumer Financial Data," January 24, 2022
- "OpenX Ad Exchange Settles With FTC Over Alleged COPPA and Other Violations," January 14, 2022
- "A COPPA First: Safe Harbor Program Removed From Approved List," August 23, 2021
- "New Decision Narrows Scope of Georgia Computer Trespass Statute," July 9, 2021
- "Ding Dong the CCPA Private Right of Action is (Mostly) Dead!," May 17, 2019
- "2019 is the Year of . . . CCPA?" January 8, 2019
- "NY Issues Data Breach Report," April 12, 2018
- "2018: The Year of the FTC and Informational Injuries?" January 17, 2018
Covering Your Ads Blog Posts
- "How to Succeed in Environmental Marketing Claims," March 23, 2023
- "CARU Revises its Guidelines to Address Increase in Online Media," August 26, 2021
- "Mobile Advertising Company Gets Flack from FTC for Failure to Deliver Upon Advertised Promises," January 14, 2021
- "FTC Workshop Provides Insight on Best Practices to Mitigate Informational Injuries," December 28, 2017
Retail Law: Retail Trend Spotter
- "Brush Up On Your Opt-Outs: Calif. AG Signals Mobile App Investigative Sweep," February 9, 2023
- "The Latest Win for Apple: Dismissal of Class Action about iPhones," March 7, 2022
- Webinar, 10.18.2023
- Webinar, 10.18.2023
- Zoom Webinar, 10.12.2023
- Webinar, 05.04.2022
J.D., University of California, Hastings, 2015
B.A., University of California, San Diego, 2011