Bijal Vira is a partner in the corporate and finance practice areas in the firm's New York office.
Areas of Practice
Bijal's practice is focused on complex, private markets transactions, often involving investment funds (e.g., private equity, private credit, real estate, hedge funds, BDCs), asset managers, insurance companies and other forms of institutional capital in equity and credit investments. He is often engaged to advise clients in deals that involve regulated industries (e.g., healthcare, insurance), cross national borders, or that require novel structuring or restructuring solutions. Bijal is a leader of the firm’s Alternative Finance Team.
Bijal is a member of the board of directors of Business Outreach Center Network and its affiliate, BOC Capital Corp., a not-for-profit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and a certified Community Development Entity (CDE) dedicated to providing micro-enterprise financing, with a focus on small-business, women, minority and immigrant entrepreneurs.
Bijal received dual bachelor’s degrees in Chemical Engineering and Economics from the University of Rochester in 1999, and his law degree from the University of Chicago Law School in 2002.
Bijal’s experience is highlighted by the following recent (2017-2019) transactions in which he acted as lead counsel:
- Represented ArrowMark Partners, an American global asset manager, as agent and lead lender (and holder of equity interests) in a senior secured term loan to Starry, Inc., a wireless broadband Internet service provider backed by major institutional investors, to finance the purchase of FCC wireless spectrum licenses.
- Represented Summit Medical Group in its multi-billion dollar sale to Warburg Pincus and the merger with its portfolio company, CityMD. The transaction, one of the largest involving a physician organization, was the first-of-its-kind between an independent physician-owned multispecialty medical group and an urgent care provider.
- Represented Arlington Capital Partners, an American private equity firm, and its portfolio company, Radius Aerospace, Inc., in the leveraged buyout of Triumph Group Operations, Inc., a global leader in supplying and overhauling aerospace systems and components, which was financed in part by a multi-currency, multi-jurisdictional senior secured term and revolving credit facility provided by a syndicate of global banking institutions.
- Represented Rakuten, Inc., a Japanese conglomerate, in the sale of its digital reading platform, OverDrive, to KKR.
- Represented Agamya Capital in the leveraged buyout of World Inspection Network International, Inc., a franchisor of home inspection services with over 180 franchises across 32 states.
- Represented American International Group, Inc., a global insurance company, in providing a senior (split lien) secured term loan to John Hardy, an international custom jewelry manufacturer based in the British Virgin Islands and portfolio company of L Catterton, a U.S.-based private equity firm. The transaction involved collateral in five international jurisdictions, comprised of the British Virgin Islands, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia and the People’s Republic of China.
- Represented Ardian, a European-headquartered private investment firm, and its North American private equity fund, in the leveraged buyout of Dynamic Technologies, an Italian manufacturer of automotive parts, which was financed in part by a syndicate of global banking institutions pursuant to a multi-jurisdictional, multi-currency senior secured credit facility, and a domestic mezzanine credit facility, and involved collateral spanning nine international jurisdictions, including Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Italy, Poland, Canada, Hungary, Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, Mexico and the People’s Republic of China.
- Represented ArrowMark Partners, an American global asset manager, as lead investor in the $152 million Series D financing of Convene, a national provider of meeting spaces and hospitality services in Class A office buildings.
- Represented Anchorage Capital Group, an American private investment firm, and one of its portfolio companies in obtaining a senior secured term credit facility to be used for the construction, commissioning and operation of a Utah tar sands mine.
- Represented Kennedy Lewis Investment Management, an American private investment firm, in providing a senior secured term loan to Forte Veterinary Partners, LLC, a private equity-backed company effecting a veterinary practice roll-up strategy.
- Represented Benefit Street Partners, an American credit-focused alternative asset manager, in providing a special situation first lien term loan to the River Rock Entertainment Authority (RREA), a tribal instrumentality of the Dry Creek Rancheria Band of Pomo Indians, the proceeds of which were used by RREA to fund settlements with holders of defaulted outstanding senior and senior subordinated bonds issued to finance the development of the River Rock Casino in Sonoma County, CA.
- Represented Bond Capital, a Canadian private credit fund, in providing a second lien term loan to Cambelt International, a U.S.-based producer of industrial belt convey products and portfolio company of Five Crowns Capital, a U.S.-based private investment firm.
Finance & Bankruptcy Law Blog Posts
- "The Reauthorization and Revival of the Paycheck Protection Program and Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program under the Economic Aid to Hard-Hit Small Businesses, Nonprofits, and Venues Act," December 31, 2020
- "The October 2, 2020 SBA Procedural Notice: Change of Ownership Transactions Involving PPP Borrowers," October 5, 2020
"Updates to the PPP Loan Forgiveness Application Form," June 19, 2020
- "[UPDATED] Paycheck Protection Program Flexibility Act: Major Changes to the PPP," June 12, 2020
- "Expansion of Eligibility and Additional Guidance on the Paycheck Protection Program (Title I of the CARES Act)," April 8, 2020
- "Updates on the Affiliation Rules Applicable to the Paycheck Protection Program (Title I of the CARES Act)," April 6, 2020
- "Updates on the Paycheck Protection Program under the CARES Act: The SBA’s April 2, 2020 Interim Final Rule," April 3, 2020
Corporate & Securities Law Blog Posts
- "Sheppard Submits Comments to Main Street Loan Program," April 17, 2020
- Benefits PRO, 03.31.2020
- 2020 Restaurant Legal Summit Virtual Edition, 10.14.2020
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Commercial Lending and Financial Transactions
- International Reach
J.D., University of Chicago, 2002
B.A., University of Rochester, 1999
B.S., University of Rochester, 1999
- New York
- New Jersey