Denise Giraudo is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
Areas of Practice
Denise counsels and represents management in a wide range of labor and employment litigation matters. She regularly and successfully represents employers before state and federal courts as well as various local and federal administrative agencies. Her extensive litigation practice includes representing employers in connection with discrimination and retaliation claims under all applicable local, state and federal statutes, disability accommodation claims, wage and hour claims, whistleblowing claims under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and the False Claims Act, unfair labor practice charges and grievance arbitrations. Denise’s litigation practice includes single-plaintiff cases as well as class and collective actions.
In addition to her litigation experience, Denise regularly counsels clients regarding the preparation and application of personnel policies and provides advice to clients regarding reductions-in-force, discipline, terminations and employee accommodations and leaves of absences. She has routinely handled internal investigations and counseled employers regarding the strategic response to allegations of discrimination.
Denise represents clients in industries and occupations such as defense contracting, retail and healthcare. Her recent work on behalf of clients and published decisions includes the following:
- Arbitration award for client, a national retailer, following four day arbitration hearing in Baltimore, Maryland, where former management employee alleged termination was a result of national origin discrimination.
- Full defense verdict in an ADA discrimination/failure to accommodate case after a five-day jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland for one of world’s largest aeronautics company.
- Brandon Williamson v. Bon Secours Richmond Health System, Inc., 34 F.Supp.3d 607, (E.D.Va. July 28, 2014): Decision granting motion for summary judgment on all of plaintiff’s claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
- Obtained decision in favor of leading sprinkler and alarm company before Department of Labor Administrative Law Judge, where former employee had alleged that his termination violated the anti-retaliation provisions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
- Obtained decision in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia granting motion to dismiss in favor of international security company dismissing case with prejudice where plaintiff brought claims for wrongful termination and discrimination in violation of the District of Columbia Human Rights Act.
- Obtained decision dismissing plaintiff’s complaint in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia against staffing agency where plaintiff alleged violation of Title VII and the District of Columbia Human Rights Act.
- Obtained decision in favor of international security company in labor arbitration where former employee alleged termination was without just cause.
Recommended Lawyer - Labor and Employment, Legal 500, 2019
Rising Star, Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2014 - 2017
Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers, 2018-2019
Labor and Employment Law Blog Posts
- "A Halt to Minimum Wage for Tipped Workers," October 5, 2018
- "Minimum Wage Inches Closer to Reality for Tipped Workers in the District of Columbia," June 27, 2018
- "Department of Labor Offers Employers Clarity By Resuming Its Practice of Issuing Opinion Letters," April 25, 2018
- "D.C. Voters Will Decide Whether to Eliminate Tipped Restaurant Wages," March 21, 2018
- Society for Human Resource Management, 04.19.2018
- Law360, 03.12.2018
Member, Labor and Employment Section, American Bar Association
- Labor and Employment
- Labor Union Management Relations
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- Labor and Employment Litigation
J.D., Catholic University, Columbus School of Law, 2007
B.A., Georgetown University, 2004
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert R. Rigsby of the Superior Court for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit