- J.D., Benjamin Cardozo Law School, Yeshiva University, 2009
- B.S., The College of New Jersey, 2006, magna cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
Danielle Vrabie is an associate in the Business Trials Practice Group in the firm's New York office and a member of the firm’s healthcare practice team.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Vrabie represents corporate clients and individuals in complex commercial litigation and government and regulatory investigations throughout the country.
Ms. Vrabie focuses much of her practice on serving healthcare and life sciences clients. She has represented hospitals and health systems, physician and specialty practice groups, pharmaceutical companies, long-term care providers, medical device companies and healthcare technology companies involved in commercial litigation and civil disputes, government investigations, enforcement actions, and OIG and OMIG self-disclosures. She also has significant experience defending against investigations and litigation involving allegations under the False Claims Act, Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and similar anti-fraud statutes.
As part of her general commercial litigation practice, Ms. Vrabie has also represented companies in the financial services, aerospace, and manufacturing industries in cases involving breach of contract, fraud, trade secrets, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, and allegations of unfair trade practices. She also assists companies in conducting internal investigations regarding fraud, allegations of employee misconduct, and whistleblower complaints.
Ms. Vrabie maintains an active pro bono practice. She was recognized for three consecutive years by The Legal Aid Society for her outstanding pro bono service.
While in law school, Ms. Vrabie was named an Alexander Fellow, allowing her the opportunity to serve as a student judicial clerk to the Honorable Kimba M. Wood, Chief Judge of the Southern District of New York. She also served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Dora L. Irizarry in the Eastern District of New York.
- Pro Bono Publico Award, Legal Aid Society, 2013-2015
False Claims Act
- Representation of home health provider in False Claims Act suit related to allegations of non-compliance with CMS regulations.
- Representation of medical equipment supplier in qui tam suit filed by former employee alleging violations of CMS guidelines governing DME suppliers purportedly resulting in submission of false claims.
- Representation of medical director physicians accused of upcoding and providing medically unnecessary services.
- Representation of leading aerospace manufacturing company in False Claims Act suit relating to parts certification for airplanes flown by the Department of Defense; district court dismissed all claims pre-discovery and decision was affirmed on appeal.
Internal Investigations & Government Investigations
- Representation of multiple physician practices in connection with DOJ investigation into clinical laboratory arrangements.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in DOJ investigation concerning allegations of kickbacks to physicians.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Representation of medical device company in connection with breach of contract claim against private equity firm regarding exercise of certain stock rights.
- Representation of global healthcare company in Federal suit and arbitration proceedings in which former employees sought change-in-control benefits exceeding $15 million.
- Representation of leading aerospace manufacturing company in trade secrets misappropriation suit against former employee who secretly agreed to join direct competitor.
- Co-author of the “Health Care Fraud and Abuse 2016 Update” chapter in Health Law Handbook, Twenty-Ninth Edition (2017), WestGroup, a Thomson Company.
- Co-author of the “Excuses Doctrine” chapter in Commercial Contracts: Strategies for Drafting and Negotiating, Second Edition (2015), Wolters Kluwer.
Government Contracts, Investigations & International Trade Blog Posts