Melissa Patterson is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) office.
Areas of Practice
Melissa focuses her practice on the preparation and prosecution of patent applications, particularly in the areas of software, computer hardware, mobile communications, AI, robotics and financial networks. She has prosecuted more than 500 U.S. and foreign patent matters. Melissa has also assisted with over 100 trademark matters, conducted non-infringement and invalidity analyses for numerous IP litigation matters and assisted with patent licensing matters.
Prior to entering the legal sector, Melissa was a software developer and consultant in the automotive industry.
- Prosecuted more than 500 U.S. and foreign patent matters for clients ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies
- Drafted in excess of 100 original patent applications, including conducting thorough invention disclosures and preparing claims, figures and specifications
- Prosecution included various business art units with the USPTO
- Conducted idea harvesting session with engineers from mid-sized software and robotics company, which resulted in at least seven new patent applications
- Drafted foundational patents and continuation applications for startup internet searching company; three of these patents were sold for $350,000
- Overcame hundreds of rejections under Section 101 (Alice) and Section 103 in U.S. patent applications for large financial company; overcame similar rejections in foreign jurisdictions
- Prosecuted applications in at least seven countries for clinical diagnostics company
Group Recognition, Intellectual Property Law Section SDCBA, for Commitment to New Lawyers, San Diego County Bar Association, 2019
- "Innovation in the Age of COVID-19," San Diego County Bar Association Virtual Roundtable, May 19, 2020
Chair, Intellectual Property Law Section, San Diego County Bar Association