- J.D., Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, 2012
- B.A., University of Denver, 2008
Mikela Sutrina is an associate in the Labor and Employment Practice Group in the firm's Chicago office.
Areas of Practice
Ms. Sutrina focuses her practice on labor and employment matters. She has defended employers in numerous cases in state and federal court, as well as before federal, state, and local administrative agencies in matters of discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, whistle-blower actions, and harassment. Ms. Sutrina has represented employers in both single and multi-plaintiff matters, as well as class and collective actions. She also counsels employers on a multitude of human resources issues, including personnel policies, wage and hour issues, employee handbooks, severance agreements, and non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.
Ms. Sutrina also has general litigation experience, with a particular focus in the areas of consumer fraud and consumer privacy litigation. Ms. Sutrina has assisted in the defense of both individual and class action litigation brought under various state and federal consumer fraud and privacy statutes, as well as unfair business practices laws and regulations.
- What Organizations Need to Know When Facing Conditional Certification Under Section 216(B) of the FLSAThomas Reuters, August 2016
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "For Your Consideration: Recent State-to-State Developments on Sufficient Consideration for Employee Non-Compete Agreements," March 27 2017
- "Illinois Limits Non-Compete Agreements Yet Again," September 7, 2016
- "The Defend Trade Secrets Act – Coming to a Federal Court Near You," May 9, 2016
- "The Supreme Court Decides Mach Mining LLC vs. EEOC: A “Win” For Employers?" May 7, 2015
- "New Illinois Laws in 2015: What Employers Should Know," April 2, 2015
- "An In-Depth Analysis of the NLRB’s Decision to Permit Employees to Use Employer Email Systems for Union Organizing and Other Non-Work Purposes," December 12, 2014
- "Drug Testing in the Workplace: What Employers Need to Know," Illinois Chamber of Commerce, February 24, 2015
- Sheppard Mullin ChicagoMay 18, 2017
- September 10, 2015
- Labor & Employment UpdateJune 25, 2015