Tony Toranto is a partner in the Real Estate, Corporate and Finance Practice Groups in the firm's San Diego (Del Mar) and San Francisco offices. He is Team Leader of the firm's Energy, Infrastructure and Project Finance Team and a member of the firm's Compensation Committee.
Areas of Practice
Tony is a nationally recognized finance and commercial lawyer with three areas of concentration: corporate, real estate and energy transactions. Tony possesses a dual J.D./M.B.A. degree and started his career as a client in private equity; he brings that commercial understanding to every deal.
Tony regularly advises clients on conventional and renewable projects, including some of the largest energy projects in the industry.
Tony counsels clients on corporate and transactional matters, including advising sponsors, creditors and investors on capital, acquisition, disposition, development, financing and leasing transactions. He has advised sponsors, borrowers, lenders, investors, guarantors and other clients on hundreds of transactions totaling billions of dollars.
- Representation of a pension fund lender in connection with a $1.2 billion loan for one of the largest private real estate development projects in the U.S.
- Negotiation of real estate, acquisition, joint venture agreements and mezzanine loans and secured construction financing for over $1 billion of condominium projects in San Francisco, California.
- Representation of an investor in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of a major coffee farm in Kona, Hawaii.
- Negotiation of a complex joint venture agreement on behalf of a developer with a landowner for a mixed-use project with approximately 120 residential units in Northern California.
- Representation of a developer in connection with the development of a shopping center in Northern California, including negotiating the purchase agreement for the overall site, as well as purchase agreements and leases with national retailers for outparcels or space within the center.
- Representation of a lender in connection with an approximately $90 million loan on a redevelopment project in Southern California, including a deferred equity agreement and affordable housing.
- Representation of lender in connection with a $50 million construction loan for a build-to-suit office project in Southern California.
- Representation of a lender in connection with a $100 million secured line of credit.
- Representation of a lender in connection with a $64 million industrial build-to-suit in Nevada.
- Representation of a lender in a $60 million financing in connection with a portfolio of cross-collateralized income properties.
- Representation of a national retailer in lease negotiations.
- Negotiation of loan documents on behalf of a borrower for an $89 million construction loan to build a 290,000-square-foot retail power center.
- Representation of a borrower in the workout of approximately $30 million in loans from multiple lenders in connection with a large condominium project in Northern California.
- Representation of a shopping center owner in lease negotiations with anchor and inline tenants.
- Representation of a buyer in connection with the negotiation of a hotel purchase and sale agreement, together with related agreements involving non-compete issues, subdivision issues and future development rights.
- Drafting form loan documents for multiple lenders with varying needs, including conventional banks, life insurance companies, bridge lenders and hard money lenders.
- Representation of a large financial institution as outside general counsel.
- Advise a major venture capital firm on the restructuring if a portfolio of biotech investments.
- Advise multiple biotech companies on spin-off transactions.
- Advise a large family-owned investment company on the dissolution and distribution of a portfolio.
- Representation of various companies and funds in connection with private placements.
- Representation of an energy developer in connection with real estate and financing issues for an approximately $700 million power plant.
- Representation of a sponsor in connection with real estate and financing issues for an approximately $1 billion power plant.
- National representation of a renewable energy developer in the acquisition of over 20 utility-scale power plant sites.
- Advised a renewable energy developer in U.S. energy regulatory- and tax-related matters in connection with its European IPO.
- Advised a renewable developer in connection with site acquisition issues, power purchase agreement negotiations and financing matters.
- Representation of a renewable energy investor in the acquisition, title matters and project finance involving a $220 million renewable energy project.
- Representation of a lender in the development and deployment of a solar project debt financing program, including the representation in connection with dozens of loans totaling billions of dollars.
- Representation of a renewable energy developer in real estate and finance matters for a $285 million renewable energy project.
- Representation of a project host in connection with the largest single rooftop solar project in the U.S.
- Representation of a developer in connection with a power purchase agreement, siting and financing issues for multiple renewable energy projects hosted on government facilities.
Leading Lawyer in Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy, Chambers Global, 2017-2018
Energy - Renewable/Alternative, Legal 500, 2016-2020
Leading Lawyer in Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy, Chambers USA, 2016-2017
Top Development Lawyers, Daily Journal, 2014
Real Estate and Construction, Legal 500, 2013-2015
Top Real Estate Attorneys, Daily Journal, 2012
“Lawyer energized $683 million power plant project with a 10-year electricity deal,” One of Top Five Real Estate Development Deals Highlighted, Daily Journal, July 27, 2011
- "Special Coverage: Real Estate," Daily Journal, July 27, 2011
Energy Law Blog
- fivehundred, 10.2019
- Tax credit extension expected to life wind developers' wingsDaily Journal, 02.28.2013
- Moderator, "Utility-Owned Renewable Assets—A Growing Trend," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, March 22, 2017
- Moderator, "Distributed Solar Market Forecast for 2017 and Beyond," Distributed Solar, Los Angeles, November 16, 2016
- Moderator, "Time to Reflect - What the Industry Has Learned About Utility Scale Project Origination and Development," Ninth Annual Utility Scale Solar Summit, San Diego, October 19, 2016
- Moderator, "The State of the Distributed Solar Industry and the Road Ahead," Distributed Solar Summit 2015, San Diego, November 17, 2015
- Moderator, "Strategies and Business Models for a New Era of Utility Scale Solar," Eighth Annual Utility Scale Solar Summit 2015, San Diego, October 22, 2015
- Moderator, "The Duck Curve and System Integration," Seventh Annual Utility Scale Solar Summit 2014, San Diego, September 10, 2014
- Moderator, "Tax Equity – Today and Beyond 2016," Distributed Solar East 2014, Arlington, Virginia, May 21, 2014
- Moderator, "Utilities Perspectives on Integrating Distributed Solar," Distributed Solar East 2014, Arlington, Virginia, May 21, 2014
- Presenter, "Technical Innovation and the Future of Solar," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2014, San Diego, February 26, 2014
- Moderator, "Current Trends in Commercial Real Estate Finance: Debt, Equity and Everything in Between," Third Annual Real Estate and Law (REAL) Symposium, Stanford, January 29, 2014
- Moderator, "Outlook for Debt in Distributed Solar Deals," Distributed Solar Summit 2013, San Diego, November 19, 2013
- Panelist, "The Unanticipated Environmental Consequences of Renewable Energy," First Annual Emerging Issues in Environmental Law Policy and Practice Symposium - The Collision of Energy Development and Environmental Laws, UC Irvine School of Law, October 3, 2013
- Moderator, "Market Outlook-California and the Southwest," Utility Scale Solar Summit 2013, San Diego, September 25, 2013
- Presenter, "Real Estate and EB-5 Financing for Solar," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2013, San Diego, March 20, 2013
- Moderator, "Utility Scale Solar Market - Growth Opportunities Outlook," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2013, San Diego, March 19, 2013
- Panelist, "Financing in Changing Times," Sixth Annual Imperial Valley Renewable Energy Summit & Expo, Holtville, March 14, 2013
- Moderator, "Reducing Soft Cost through Organizational and Operational Efficiency," Distributed Solar Summit 2012, San Diego, November 15, 2012
- "Power Purchase Agreements," Association of Defense Communities, 2012 ADC Winter Forum, February 27, 2012
- Moderator, "Is There Enough Tax Equity in the Market?" Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2012, San Diego, February 27-March 1, 2012
- Moderator, "Wind Power 101 Workshop," and "Negotiating and Structuring Your Wind Project Development and Financing," Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, February 6-9, 2012
- Summit Chair,"Satisfying the New Renewable Portfolio Standards," Renewables West Summit, San Diego, December 5 and 6, 2011
- Moderator, "Landmark Rooftop Solar Project: Project AMP - A Window on the Future?" Distributed Solar Summit, San Diego, December 1, 2011
- Moderator, "PPA Agreements," Fourth Annual Utility Scale Solar Summit 2011, San Diego, September 13, 2011
- Panelist, "Got Sunshine on a Cloudy Day: Navigating the Legal Maze of Implementing Solar Programs in Residential Communities," Luce Forward Residential Development Roundtable, San Diego, May 5, 2011, and San Francisco, May 12, 2011
- Moderator, "Price Competition and Project Viability: Houston, we have a problem," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2011, San Diego, March 23, 2011
- Moderator, "Utility Distributed Gen Programs in California," December 1, 2010
- Moderator, "Project Asset M&A," December 2, 2010
- Moderator, "China and Its Plans for Utility Scale Solar in the U.S. Market," Third Annual Utility Scale Solar Summit, September 15, 2010
- Moderator, "The Benefits of Solar for Residential Developers," Luce Forward Seminar, June 9, 2009
- Speaker, "Lenders and Distressed Properties: Understanding and Preserving Residential Real Estate Development Collateral," October 16, 2008
- Webinar, 04.17.2020
- Webinar, 04.03.2020
- Webinar, 03.18.2020
State Bar of California
Salk Institute Excelerators - Cabinet Member
Stanford Graduate School of Business Young Real Estate Professionals (Land Dogs) - Founder and Member
La Jolla Country Day-Building and Grounds Committee
J.D., Stanford Law School
M.B.A., Stanford University
M.A., Stanford University, 1994
A.B., Stanford University, 1994, Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California