- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2010, Executive Editor, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, 2004, cum laude
- Extern to the Honorable Roger Titus, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of California
Rachel Tarko Hudson is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm's San Francisco office. She is Lead Associate of the Privacy and Cybersecurity Team and the Technology Transactions Team.
Areas of Practice
Rachel advises clients in conducting advertising campaigns, contests and sweepstakes, and cause marketing campaigns. She also counsels clients on compliance with e-mail, telephone, and SMS marketing regulations.
Technology and Commercial Transactions
Rachel drafts and negotiates agreements for software, SaaS, technology services, logistics, marketing, outsourcing, intellectual property licensing, sourcing and distribution agreements, and other commercial and transactional matters.
Privacy and Data Security
Rachel counsels clients on compliance with domestic and international privacy laws, including in Canada and the EU. She helps clients with drafting privacy policies and online terms of service for websites and mobile applications. She counsels clients experiencing data security breaches on response, notification, and mitigation.
- Received Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service award from the Volunteer Legal Services Program of the San Francisco Bar Association, 2011
- Negotiated co-branded credit card agreements with the issuing banks and credit card networks for multiple international retail brands.
- Advised on an international cause marketing campaign for a global cosmetics company, including negotiating agreements with charities and registering the campaign with regulators in the United States and abroad.
- Negotiated and advised on the sale of a major business unit including resolving complex trademark ownership and usage issues.
- Negotiated an international shipping logistics deal for a global clothing retailer.
- Drafted and negotiated a material and ingredient purchase agreement for an international candy brand.
- Negotiated a gift card processing agreement for a traditional and e-commerce retail brand.
- Negotiated an agreement to license and provide customer development services for data center technology developer.
- Drafted and negotiated content licensing agreements for the launch of a gaming company’s new clothing and accessories line
- 11th Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment Grant in TCPA Suit Against Medical Debt Collector, Cyberspace Law e-Bulletin (2015)
- Online student privacy bill prompts debate, Daily Journal (March 2014)
- Dealing in Data: Business and Legal Considerations Respecting Data Transactions, Business Law News, the official publication of the Business Law Section of the California State Bar, Issue 4 (2012)
Covering Your Ads Blog Posts
- "Deadline Approaching: Action Required by December 31 To Avoid Losing DMCA Safe Harbor Protection," October 25, 2017
- "The Kardashians Can’t Keep up with Copyright Law," May 17, 2016
- "California Enacts New Data Privacy Laws," October 18, 2013
- "Third Circuit Issues Decision in New Jersey Gift Card Escheat Suit," January 30, 2012
Social Media Law Blog Posts
- "California Online Tracking Disclosure Bill Heads to Governor for Signature," September 25, 2013
- "FTC Updates COPPA FAQs," August 5, 2013
- "California Bill to Expand Data Security Breach Notification Law Clears Senate Hurdle," May 23, 2013
- "California AG to Begin Enforcing Privacy Law Against App Developers - $2500-per-Download Fines," December 7, 2012
- "New York AG Addresses Cause Marketing on Social Media," November 28, 2012
- "Companies Using Pinterest, Be Careful Not to Get Pricked," April 26, 2012
- "Occupiers' Motion to Quash Subpoenas of Tweets Raises Privacy Questions," April 3, 2012
- Don't Miss It: Hot Deals & Firms We're Following This WeekLaw360, July 1, 2016
- Sheppard Mullin Helps Toca Boca in AgreementDaily Journal, October 23, 2014
- Sheppard Mullin Guides App Developer in Tablet AgreementThe Recorder, October 16, 2014