- J.D., Saint John's University School of Law, cum laude, 2004
- B.A., University of Buffalo, 2001
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
Brian Murphy is a partner in the Labor and Employment practice group and is based in the New York office.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Murphy has extensive experience in all areas of labor and employment law, including discrimination and wrongful discharge cases, wage and hour cases, restrictive covenant and non-competition agreements, breach of contact cases, arbitrations and collective bargaining. Mr. Murphy has also focused on class and collective wage and hour litigation in New York and California federal and state courts. He also advises clients on matters relating to harassment, the development and implementation of employment contracts, employee handbooks, personnel policies, reductions-in-force, independent contractor agreements and compliance with Title VII, ADEA, ADA, WARN, FMLA, COBRA, USERRA, OSHA, and other federal, state and local employment statutes. Mr. Murphy has also conducted employee trainings on behalf of clients concerning appropriate workplace behavior, managerial issues, and wage and hour issues.
Mr. Murphy equally represents clients in litigations in federal and state court and in proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and various city and state agencies.
- Labor and Employment, Legal 500, 2016-2017
- New York Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Maximizing Confidentiality of Settlements of Individual Claims Under the FLSANew York Law Journal, February 9, 2017
- New FLSA Overtime Regulations: Planning for Costs of ComplianceNew York Law Journal, November 7, 2016
- Co-author, "Rethinking The Use of Credit Histories In the Hiring Process," HRAdvisor, March/April 2011
- Co-author, "Forever Yours: In 'Ashland-Management'," Confidential Knows No Bounds, NYLJ, March 23, 2009
- Co-author, "The Sword and Shield: Protective Orders Guard Against Unwarranted Depositions of Executives," NYLJ, October 3, 2008
- Co-author, "The Forgotten Overtime Exemption," Workforce Management, May 29, 2008
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- "Sheppard Mullin Secures Major Victory for Chipotle in Nationwide Misclassification Action By Demonstrating Variations Among Proposed Class Members," April 10, 2017
- "Second Circuit Imposes Individual Liability on New York Mayoral Candidate for Fair Labor Standards Act Settlement," July 12, 2013
- "Second Circuit Overturns Class Certification Order in Assistant Branch Manager Overtime Case," June 5, 2013
- June 22, 2016
- November 13, 2014