- J.D., Brooklyn Law School
- B.A., SUNY Buffalo
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut
Jonathan Stoler is a partner in the New York office. He serves as Global Co-Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Labor and Employment Practice and the National Non-Competition and Trade Secrets Team.
Areas of Practice
Mr. Stoler's practice encompasses a wide range of labor and employment matters, including the defense of single plaintiff and class action discrimination, wrongful discharge and wage/hour claims, in addition to employment contract, non-competition, whistleblower, sexual harassment and related claims. He regularly represents clients in labor and employment litigations in federal and state courts, in arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and in proceedings before various administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Department of Labor and state agencies throughout the United States. Mr. Stoler also represents clients in collective bargaining negotiations, labor arbitrations and all stages of the labor election process, including election campaigns and hearings before the National Labor Relations Board.
Mr. Stoler regularly counsels both domestic and international clients regarding the preparation and administration of personnel policies and provides advice to clients regarding reductions-in-force, discipline and discharge, employee disability and leaves of absence issues. He also advises management on the labor aspects of mergers and acquisitions and the extraterritorial application of U.S. laws.
Mr. Stoler is published and quoted frequently on a variety of employment law issues in major academic and business publications such as the National Law Review, The New York Law Journal, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel and Employment Law 360, and is a frequent speaker at national and international programs.
- 100 Most Powerful Employment Lawyers, Lawdragon, 2017
- Nation's Most Powerful Employment Attorneys, Human Resource Executive, 2017
- Mr. Stoler has consistently been recognized by The Legal 500 as among the best labor lawyers in the U.S.
- Up and Comers in Employment Law, Lawdragon, 2015-2016
- Nation's Most Powerful Employment Attorneys - Up and Comers, Human Resource Executive, 2015-2016
- New York Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers, 2013-2017
Ares Management: Mr. Stoler leads a global team that represents Ares on its employment law matters throughout the world.
TP ICAP (f/k/a Tullett Prebon): Mr. Stoler obtained a complete victory in a case spanning three years against a former employee and their current employer for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of loyalty interference with contract. After a 3-day arbitration, the FINRA panel awarded approximately $2 million in damages and attorneys' fees and dismissed the employee's counterclaims with prejudice. He also obtained a complete defense verdict in a case seeking to hold TP ICAP liable for multi-million dollar bonuses claimed by risk arbitrage brokers. Mr. Stoler continues to represent this client, one of the world’s largest interdealer brokers, in employment matters throughout the US.
CA, Inc. (f/k/a Computer Associates): Mr. Stoler successfully represented CA, Inc. in obtaining summary judgment against a former sales executive asserting claims of marital status and national origin discrimination, claims for unpaid commissions and severance, and claims for unjust enrichment and promissory estoppel.
Modell’s Sporting Goods: Mr. Stoler has successfully defended this client against employment discrimination claims and other matters.
Brooklyn Nets: This client regularly looks to Mr. Stoler to provide counsel and advice on a variety of labor and employment matters.
US Bank: Mr. Stoler represents this client in multiple employment litigations including, but not limited to, promissory note recoupment and restrictive covenant enforcement matters.
Holsa/EXSA Americas: Mr. Stoler successfully defended this client and its president against claims of pregnancy discrimination and race discrimination, obtaining a complete dismissal of all claims on a motion for summary judgment.
Mulberry: Mr. Stoler serves as national employment counsel for this UK-based retailer.
Orient Express Hotels/”21” Club: Mr. Stoler successfully represented this client in a wage and hour collective action alleging overtime and other claims asserted under the Fair Labor Standards Act and New York Labor Law.
Sun Chemical Corporation: Mr. Stoler obtained a complete dismissal of breach of contract and ERISA claims asserted by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, saving Sun Chemical millions of dollars in potential liability.
Ornamental Installation Specialists: Mr. Stoler successfully represented this client in a preliminary injunction trial involving efforts by a competitor to its enforce non-compete agreements.
Williams Sonoma: Mr. Stoler obtained summary judgment and defeated motion for class certification in wage and hour class action brought by drivers hired by third-party trucking companies and providing delivery services to Williams Sonoma customers.
Israel Discount Bank: Mr. Stoler obtained summary judgment in multi-plaintiff action on behalf of Israel Discount Bank resulting in dismissal of 18 causes of action alleging race, color, gender, religious and ethnicity discrimination and retaliation under Title VII, Section 1981, the New York State Human Rights Law and the New York City Human Rights Law.
- Overcoming Confusion For FranchisorsNew York Law Journal, August 11, 2014
- New York Law Journal, March 10, 2014
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, November 2011
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, December 2010
- Society for Human Resource Management, January 2010
- Employment Law360, August 13, 2009
- Federal and New York State Minimum Wage Increases to $7.25 Per Hour on July 24, 2009; Minimum Wage for Tipped Restaurant Servers and Other Servers Increases to $4.65Human Resource Executive, July 24, 2009
- Work force reductions are expensive and can hurt a company’s future.The National Law Journal, April 27, 2009
- January 15, 2009
- September 25, 2008
- Can employees have their cake and eat it too?New York Law Journal, August 11, 2008
- August 6, 2008
- Court Upholds Unequal Wage Suit Based Upon Unfair And Unequal Shift Assignments Brought By Female Server At Manhattan RestaurantJuly 21, 2008
- Extends Life of Plaintiff's Claim and Potential for DamagesMay 27, 2008
- Employment Law360, January 15, 2008
- New York Law Journal, August 16, 2007
- Structuring Effective FLSA Audits: In-house And Outside Counsel Can Partner On Wage-and-Hour Reviews Under Fair Labor Standards ActThe National Law Journal, May 21, 2007
Global Trade Law Blog Posts
- "Dodd-Frank Whistleblower Protection: For America Only," November 13, 2013
Labor & Employment Law Blog Posts
- How One Company (With Help From Sheppard Mullin) Has Raked in $145 Million from Enforcing Its Employment AgreementsThe American Lawyer, July 26, 2017
- Law360, March 17, 2016
- Law360, October 17, 2014
- Law360, March 27, 2013
- Human Resource Executive, February 11, 2009
- Employment Law360, May 28, 2008
- "FLSA/Wage and Hour Issues in US Sports," Sports Lawyers Association 43rd Annual Conference, Denver, Colorado, May 19, 2017
- “How the U.S. Presidential Election and the Current Economy Will Impact Labor and Employment Laws in 2013 and Beyond,” Labor and Employment Year in Review, New York, New York, November 15, 2012
- "Labor & Employment Law Update," New York, New York, May 9, 2012
- "Labor & Employment Law: 2011 Year In Review," New York, New York, November 3, 2011
- "Labor and Employment Issues Relating to the Negotiation of International Recruitment and RPO Contracts, and the Facilitation of Overseas Office Openings," APSCo-Henley Business School Executive Conference, London, England, October 7, 2011
- "Labor & Employment Law Update: Spring 2011 Seminar," New York, New York, May 19, 2011
- "Labor & Employment Law Update: 2010 Year in Review," New York, New York, November 10, 2010
- "Labor & Employment Law Update: Leading Court Decisions and Key Legislative Developments in 2010," New York, New York, May 13, 2010
- "Labor & Employment Law Update: 2009 Year in Review," New York, New York, November 5, 2009
- "Labor & Employment Law Update: The First 100 Days of the Obama Administration," New York, New York, May 21, 2009
- "The Perfect Storm: How the U.S. Presidential Election and Recent Economic Events Will Impact Labor and Employment Laws in 2009 and Beyond," New York, New York, November 6, 2008
- "Critical Employment Law Issues to Consider In a Turbulent Economy," New York, New York, June 12, 2008
- "Preventing Employment Discrimination in New York," Lorman Education Services, New York, New York, March 26, 2008
- "Implementing Workforce Reductions: Strategies & Considerations," Continuing Legal Education Program, New York, New York, November 6, 2007
- “New York Employment Law from A-Z,” Lorman Education Services, New York, New York, December 1, 2005.
- “An Overview of U.S. Labor Laws,” National Car & Truck Rental Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 12 – 14, 2005
- “Employee Leaves of Absences: The ADA, FMLA, STD and WC Dilemma,” Continuing Legal Education Program, New York, New York, September 29, 2004
- “Duty of Loyalty and Non-Competition Agreements: A Discussion on Duty of Loyalty and Non-Competition Issues, with emphasis on Successor Enforcement, Temporal and Geographical Limitations and Assignability,” American Bar Association’s 2003 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, August 9, 2003
- Spring 2017May 23, 2017
- Grand Hyatt New York, November 14, 2016
- June 22, 2016
- November 19, 2015
- Protecting Your Business Interests: How to Successfully Operate a Business Under the Laws of the United StatesAugust 28, 2015
- May 5, 2015
- June 9, 2014
- Grand Hyatt New York, November 5, 2013
- Grand Hyatt New York, June 19, 2013
- Board of Directors, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest