- Court Completely Crushes Kraft's Calportland Conspiracy Case; Cement and Concrete Collusion Claims not CredibleMarch 12, 2018
- February 14, 2018
- Firm Continues Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice ExpansionSeptember 28, 2017
- February 15, 2017
- Sheppard Mullin Washington, D.C. Expands Government Contracts and Investigations Practice With Litigation Partner Robert RhoadAugust 9, 2016
- November 23, 2015
- Firm’s Antitrust & Competition Practice Group Continues Major ExpansionNovember 16, 2015
- High-Profile Lawyer Jacques Derenne Will Lead Practice, Which Includes Robert Klotz, Oliver Heinisch and Further Partner HiresOctober 12, 2015
- EU Competition Expert Brings International Cartel & Abuse of Dominance CapabilitiesJuly 15, 2015
- October 7, 2014
- February 12, 2014
- International Cartel Experts Bolster Firm's East Coast Antitrust PracticeSeptember 21, 2009
Areas of Experience
- Antitrust Counseling and Compliance
- California Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law
- Cartel Investigations and Litigation
- Consumer Protection
- EU Competition and Regulatory
- Government Merger and Civil Conduct Investigations
- Healthcare / Antitrust
- Intellectual Property / Antitrust
- International Counseling
- Private Civil Antitrust Litigation
- Yaniss Aiche
- Edward Anderson
- Rena Andoh
- Tyler Baker
- Dylan Ballard
- Krystal Bowen
- John Brooks
- Daniel Brown
- James Burgess
- Leo Caseria
- Bruce Chapman
- Hae Eun Choi
- Michael Cohen
- Joseph Coyne, Jr.
- Andre Cronthall
- Jacques Derenne
- Helen Eckert
- Frank Falzetta
- David Fischer
- David Garcia
- Gary Halling
- Oliver Heinisch
- Don Hibner, Jr.
- Dr. Michael Hofmann
- Seong Kim
- Robert Klotz
- Stephen Korniczky
- Marie Lagrue
- John Landry
- Malika Levarlet
- Molly Lorenzi
- Christopher Loveland
- Robert Magielnicki
- James McGinnis
- Yookyung Moon
- Amar Naik
- Nadezhda Nikonova
- Isabelle Rahman
- Kent Raygor
- Robert Rhoad
- Kari Rollins
- Sylvie Rousseau
- Michael Scarborough
- Mona Solouki
- Juthamas Suwatanapongched
- Dimitris Vallindas
- Wim Vandenberghe
- Katie Wood
- Michael Zhang
Ranked Tier 1 for Antitrust Law
At Sheppard Mullin, Antitrust and Competition law has been a premier practice for decades, as one of the firm's name partners co-founded the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association. That tradition continues today with our highly ranked global antitrust and competition practice, as underscored by Chambers USA noting "they get my highest marks - they just had such a breadth of expertise”. Our global competition resources include lawyers in California, Washington D.C., New York, Brussels, London, Seoul, Shanghai and Beijing.
Our Antitrust and Competition Group has numerous matters at the United States Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, State Attorneys Generals, the European Commission and EU member states. In the U.S., our lawyers counsel clients and handle litigation involving the federal Sherman, Clayton and Robinson-Patman Acts, as well as state antitrust statutes including California’s Cartwright Act, Unfair Practices Act and Unfair Competition Act. Internationally, we advise on EU competition law, EU state aid, UK and various EU member states' antitrust and regulatory matters, and China’s Anti-Monopoly Law.
Sheppard Mullin’s Antitrust and Competition practice includes:
- Top tier international price fixing cartel expertise, criminal governmental defense, and MDL direct and indirect class cases
- Cutting edge IP/patent antitrust experience relating to standard setting, patent pooling, product distribution and licensing restraints, joint ventures and other competitor collaborations
- Extensive direct and indirect purchaser class action litigation experience, government investigations and merger clearance
- Merger and structuring issues, joint ventures and other competitor collaborations
- Antitrust audits and antitrust compliance programs
- Experience from former DOJ Antitrust Division attorneys, EC competition lawyers and former Presidents of the ABA Antitrust Section.
Chambers USA named our Antitrust Practice as top tier in California, and Legal 500 highly ranks our Antitrust practice in the U.S. Chambers USA recognized Michael Cohen, Gary Halling, James McGinnis and Mike Scarborough as top attorneys in Antitrust individually.
- Legal 500 Europe ranked our EU practice for Belgian law and EU and Global Competition law. Chambers Europe has named Jacques Derenne a “Star Individual” in Belgium Competition/State Aid, and he is ranked by Legal 500, GCR and the Best Lawyers of Europe. Isabelle Rahman is ranked by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global (EU competition) and she is recommended by European Legal Experts, Practical Law Company (PLC), IFLR 1000, Chambers Global and The Legal 500 EMEA. Robert Klotz is ranked by Chambers Global (German and Belgian competition law and German M&A) as well as Legal 500. Oliver Heinisch is ranked in Legal 500 and Chambers Global, Europe and UK. Wim Vandenberghe is recommended by Legal 500 EMEA for EU Regulatory and Energy.
U.S. News & World Report / Best Lawyers in America ranks Sheppard Mullin among the “Best Law Firms” in the United States, including a national Tier 1 ranking of the firm’s Antitrust Practice.
Benchmark Litigation has annually recognized Gary Halling as a Litigation Star and Michael Scarborough as a Future Litigation Star, and recommends our California practice.
- Global Competition Review's “Who’s Who Legal: Competition” 2017 selected Jacques Derenne and Robert Klotz for recognition.
Horizontal Restraint Cases
- Optronic Technologies, Inc. v. Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd., Case No. 16-6370 (N.D. Cal.): Successfully obtained dismissal for telescope manufacturer Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co., Ltd., Sunny Optics, Inc. and Meade Instruments Corp. against price-fixing, market allocation, monopolization and attempted monopolization claims.
- Motorola Mobility vs. Samsung SDI: secured dismissal of multi-billion dollar TFT-LCD price-fixing claims based on overseas purchases.
- In re Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) Antitrust Litigation: represented industry leading defendant in federal and state civil actions alleging price fixing in the memory chip market, as well as in related grand jury proceedings.
- In re Lithium Ion Batteries Antitrust Litig., MDL No. 2420: served as national counsel defending industry-leading multinational electronics companies in criminal and civil price-fixing actions regarding lithium ion rechargeable battery products.
- In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litigation, MDL. No 1917: served as national counsel defending coordinated antitrust price-fixing class actions, opt-out actions, and state attorney general claims, as well as related grand jury proceedings.
- In re TFT-LCD (Flat Panel) Antitrust Litigation, MDL. No 1827: served as national counsel and defense liaison counsel for coordinated antitrust price-fixing class actions, as well as in related grand jury proceedings.
- In re Currency Conversion Fee Antitrust Litigation: represented MasterCard International Incorporated in multidistrict litigation under federal antitrust laws and Truth In Lending Act. Reached comprehensive settlement, affirmed by the Second Circuit.
- Schwartz v. Visa Int'l Inc., et al.: for MasterCard International Incorporated, obtained dismissal of representative action brought under Cal. Bus & Prof. Code § 17200 challenging currency conversion practices of MasterCard and Visa following lengthy state court trial and appeal.
- In re SRAM Antitrust Litigation, MDL No. 1819: defended industry-leading international electronics company in civil price-fixing class actions regarding static random access memory chip products, and related grand jury proceedings.
- Rambus, Inc. v. Samsung Electronics, Inc.: represented Samsung in multi-billion dollar horizontal boycott litigation regarding Rambus claims involving suppression of next generation of DRAM computer chip.
- Healthcare Acquisitions: defending acquisitions involving healthcare entities, including ongoing antitrust litigation between competing hospitals and representing multiple hospitals and doctor groups in clinical integration and affiliation transactions in California and New York.
- The Hearst Corporation: successfully defended client in high profile San Francisco federal court trial in private antitrust action challenging acquisition of the San Francisco Chronicle.
Boycott/Tying/Vertical Restraint/Unfair Competition Claims
- Cascades v. RPX: defending Samsung Electronics against boycott and monopsonization claims relating to smartphone patent licensing and membership in defensive patent aggregator RPX Corporation.
- California Law Institute v. Visa USA, Inc. et al.: for MasterCard, obtained dismissal of putative representative action brought under CA UCL (§ 17200) alleging that MasterCard's chargeback policies were unfair and/or unlawful under UCL.
- Schickel v. Sterling Jewelers, Inc.: represented Sterling Jewelers in consumer class action litigation alleging deceptive practices allegedly violating CA Unfair Competition Law. Claims voluntarily dismissed by plaintiffs.
- Cartel State Law Claims: defending industry leading electronics companies in series of national indirect purchaser MDL class actions against numerous state law unfair competition claims regarding DRAM, LCD, CRT, SRAM and Lithium Ion batteries industries.
- In re Credit/Debit Card Tying Cases: representing MasterCard International in coordinated class actions and related appeals following settlement concerning alleged nationwide payment card tying practices and alleged network “exclusionary” rules.
Price Discrimination Issues
- In re Guida-Seibert Dairy: represented Guida-Seibert in antitrust investigation of alleged price-fixing in school milk industry. Represented company in debarment proceedings before U.S. Departments of Defense and Agriculture. Represented company in investigation by Connecticut Attorney General into alleged price discrimination among milk retailers.
- Harris v. Duty Free Shoppers, Ltd.: defendedcommercial bribery claim under the Robinson-Patman Act and California Unfair Practices Act, dismissed following successful Ninth Circuit appeal.
- Caribe BMW v. BMW AG, et al.: represented BMW AG in antitrust action alleging violation of Sherman and Robinson-Patman Acts brought by a Puerto Rico importer/distributor of BMW automobiles. Mr. Colbath assisted in developing a successful motion to dismiss involving an intricate analysis of the interplay between the Sherman and Robinson-Patman Acts, which was later reversed by the Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. See Caribe BMW, Inc. v. Bayerische Motoren Werke A.G., 19 F. 3d 745 (1st Cir. 1994)
Government Cases and Investigations
- Standards Essential Patents Investigations: Successfully defended Samsung Electronics in Department of Justice investigation concerning Samsung’s mobile technology standards essential patents.
- Auto Parts Antitrust Grand Jury and Litigation: defending a senior auto parts executive in a DOJ grand jury investigation and a major Japanese auto parts company to defend related class action civil litigation.
- Defended numerous DOJ Antitrust international cartel price fixing cases, including coordinating defense of related international investigations in the EC, Japan, Korea, Canada, Brazil and elsewhere.
- Home Foreclosure Antitrust Grand Jury: defending companies and a principal in a DOJ antitrust grand jury investigation into alleged bid rigging of home foreclosure sales and related proceedings.
- Samsung Electronics: defended nationwide DRAM, TFT-LCD, SRAM, Flash DOJ grand jury and foreign enforcement investigations and related direct and indirect class action price fixing actions nationwide.
- Samsung SDI: defending companies in DOJ Antitrust Division grand jury criminal price fixing and foreign enforcement investigations involving cathode ray tubes and lithium ion batteries.
EU Competition & Regulatory
- ALSTOM — Assisted ALSTOM in the largest ever GE’s acquisition (acquisition of ALSTOM Energy business) including Phase II EU clearance across 25+ jurisdictions
- ALSTOM Transport — Assisted ALSTOM on its acquisition of GE’s signaling business
- Airbus — JV with OneWebb micro satellites
- Brussels Airlines — Litigation in Brussels South Charleroi Airport case, supporting the Commission’s position in the action lodged by the airport
- Micula — Litigation challenging an unprecedented Commission decision on aid through an ICSID arbitration award for damages
- Samsung — Represented Samsung Mobile Display and Corning on the EU notification of their Korean JV in OLED production
- SK hynix — Advised SK hynix in front of the General Court challenging the Commission’s commitment decision against Rambus
- Tempus Energy — Litigation challenging the first Commission decision approving a Member State electricity capacity mechanism in the UK
- Tube Lines — Advised Tubes Lines on the refinancing of the London Underground PPP and received aid
- Legal 500 US 2018 Recognizes Sheppard Mullin Partners and Practice Groups Among the Best in the CountryLegal 500 US, May 30, 2018
- Chambers USA, May 4, 2018
- Legal 500 Belgium, April 25, 2018
- Super Lawyers, April 23, 2018
- Chambers and Partners, February 16, 2018
- Super Lawyers, January 30, 2018
- Pasadena Magazine, December 2017
- Special Counsel Michael Zhang Recognized in Client Choice Top 20 Lawyers List by Asian Legal BusinessAsian Legal Business, November 2017
- Legal Media Group Euromoney, November 2, 2017
- U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers, November 1, 2017
- Best Lawyers, August 15, 2017
- Los Angeles Business Journal, July 2017
- Super Lawyers, July 7, 2017
- Legal 500 US 2017 Recognizes Sheppard Mullin Partners and Practice Groups Among the Best in the CountryLegal 500 US, May 31, 2017
- Chambers USA, May 26, 2017
- Super Lawyers, April 24, 2017
- The Legal 500, April 23, 2017
- Chambers and Partners, April 2017
- Chambers and Partners, March 20, 2017
- Super Lawyers, January 20, 2017
- Legal Media Group Euromoney, November 7, 2016
- U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers, November 1, 2016
- Larry Braun and Gary Halling Recognized as Mergers & Acquisitions and Antitrust Trailblazers by The National Law JournalThe National Law Journal, September 26, 2016
- Special Counsel Michael Zhang Recognized in Client Choice Top 20 Lawyers List by Asian Legal BusinessAsian Legal Business, August 2016
- Best Lawyers, August 15, 2016
- Super Lawyers, July 8, 2016
- Global Competition Review, April 5, 2018
- Sheppard Mullin EU Competition Alert, January 24, 2018
- Practical Law, March 23, 2017
- Egypt Charges Ex-Football President with Criminal Abuse of DominanceGlobal Competition Review, March 17, 2017
- Sheppard Mullin EU Competition Alert, January 18, 2017
- What the Election Results Mean for Congressional Oversight of Corporate AmericaEntrepreneur, December 6, 2016
- The Rapidly Changing Landscape of Private Global Antitrust Litigation: Increasingly Serious Implications for U.S. PractitionersCompetition (Calif. State Bar Antitrust Section publication), Fall 2016
- Law360, October 27, 2016
- Bloomberg Businessweek, October 19, 2016
- WhiteWave/Danone: Delay in EC filing not expected to postpone dealPaRR, October 18, 2016
- Those Three Little Words: OFAC’s Subtle Language Shift Could Create Sweeping Change on Iran InvestmentNational Law Review, October 11, 2016
- Business Post, September 30, 2016
- Whitewave/Danone: EC review could hinge on approach to dairy vs. plant-based substitutesPaRR, September 23, 2016
- Competition Law Insight, June 7, 2016
- DG Comp Imposes Extensive AB InBev/SABMiller DivestmentsGlobal Competition Review, May 25, 2016
- Competition LawChambers Europe 2016, May 24, 2016
- Law360, July 17, 2015
- Law360, June 16, 2015
- Bloomberg BNA, December 5, 2014
- Daily Journal, October 22, 2014
- Law360, June 3, 2014
- Law360, May 8, 2014
- Law360, April 11, 2014
- Law360, December 9, 2013
- Daily Journal, October 23, 2013
- Media Watch 100 Online (Japan), September 13, 2013
- Law360, September 3, 2013
- Law360, March 14, 2013
- Law360, September 27, 2012
- The Recorder, November 10, 2011
- Law360, September 7, 2011
- New York Law Journal, July 18, 2011
- Former Student Athletes’ Right of Publicity and Antitrust Claims Will Proceed Against the NCAA and Electronic ArtsSports Litigation Alert, June 3, 2011
- The Recorder, April 18, 2011
- Federal Courts and Enforcers Diagnose Physician Practice Associations with Risk of Conspiracy LiabilityDegree of Integration is Crucial to Challenges to Medical Network Price AgreementsCPI Antitrust Journal, October 2010
- New York Times, May 25, 2010
- Law360, April 1, 2010
- Law360, February 4, 2010
- The Implications for Section 1 Cartel CasesThe Antitrust Source, October 1, 2009
- Law360, September 21, 2009
- ‘Koehler’ provides greater New York state access to banks for collection.New York Law Journal, July 20, 2009
- The Justice Department is looking into whether firms agreed to refrain from recruiting each other’s top talent.Los Angeles Daily Journal, June 12, 2009
- Competition, Vol 17, No. 2, Fall 2008
- Competition, Vol 17, No. 2, Fall 2008
- Los Angeles Daily Journal, August 21, 2008
- The Transportation Antitrust Update, December 6, 2007
- June 13, 2006
- August 9, 2005
- February 10, 2005
- January 7, 2005
- November 10, 2004
- October 7, 2004
- September 10, 2004
- September 7, 2004
- August 10, 2004
- July 12, 2004
- June 9, 2004
- May 11, 2004
- April 22, 2004
- March 11, 2004
- February 10, 2004
- December 5, 2003
- December 1, 2003
- November 7, 2003
- October 9, 2003
- October 7, 2003
- October 1, 2003
- Eleventh Circuit Holds "Reverse" Payments To Settle Infringement Litigation Under Hatch Waxman Not Per Se IllegalSeptember 15, 2003
- September 8, 2003
- September 1, 2003
- August 6, 2003
- May 28, 2003
- August 1, 2001
- June 10, 2000