- Frank Bacelli
- John Bolesta
- David Chidlaw
- Kevin Cloutier
- Paul Cowie
- Andre Cronthall
- Jonathan DeFosse
- Jacques Derenne
- Gemma Descoteaux
- Thomas Dillickrath
- Garen Dodge
- Rebecca Edelson
- John Ellis
- Shawn Fabian
- James Gatto
- Bradley Graveline
- Samantha Hardy
- Ashley Hirano
- Charles Huang
- Patricia Jeng
- Jason Kearnaghan
- Timothy Kim
- Sheldon Kline
- Michael Koltonyuk
- Ryan Krueger
- Greg Labate
- Alexander Lazar
- J. Scott Maberry
- Lisa Mays
- Anna McLean
- Jonathan Meyer
- Keahn Morris
- Robert Mussig
- Alex Nie
- Jeffrey Parker
- Nancy Pritikin
- Aaron Sobaski
- Mikela Sutrina
- Roburt Waldow
- Babak Yousefzadeh
- Michael Zhang
Sheppard Mullin is a trusted advisor to the transportation industry, leveraging its multi-disciplinary team of attorneys to seamlessly counsel transportation clients on their vital business and legal issues. From handling automobile finance and leasing transactions to advising trucking companies on class actions and sensitive labor and employment issues, Sheppard Mullin’s transportation attorneys have extensive experience across the transportation field.
Our team also includes members who have served in executive-level roles with transportation businesses, as well as in the government, including Special Deputy General Counsel at Amtrak and Deputy General Counsel of the Department of Homeland Security, overseeing all attorneys at the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). Such broad experience further informs the depth of advice our team is able to provide to its transportation clients.
As the transportation industry continues to evolve rapidly, our team keeps clients ahead of the curve by providing counsel efficiently and responsively — with the emphasis on getting results.
Sheppard Mullin represents some of the most active and recognizable participants in the transportation industry, including:
- Airbus Helicopters SAS
- Brussels Airlines
- DHL Express
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (including Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, RAM, Abarth, SRT, Mopar, Alfa Romeo, and Fiat brands)
- Fiat S.p.A.
- Jaguar Land Rover North America
- Korean Air
- Knight-Swift Transportation
- National Carriers
- Ontario International Airport Authority
- Roehl Transport
- Toyota Motor Sales, USA
- Represented Diamond Electric in international price-fixing investigation in the automotive sector.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in a trademark infringement action filed by an automotive aftermarket performance parts manufacturer who complained that the Dodge line of iconic muscle cars marketed under the "Scat Pack" trademark in 1968-71 and relaunched in 2013 for the Dodge Challenger and Charger models allegedly infringed the manufacturer’s "Scat" trademark used for crankshafts, connecting rods, and rotating assemblies.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in a false advertising case involving a promotional contest for a Fiat vehicle that took place in Washington, D.C.
- Represented Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in hundreds of matters involving dispute resolution, advertising clearance, trademark, copyright, music and entertainment content licensing, co-promotions, contests, and branding initiatives for its Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, RAM, Abarth, SRT, Mopar, Alfa Romeo, Fiat and other brands.
- Successfully defended Fiat S.p.A against right of publicity claims from Audrey Hepburn’s estate over the use of licensed clips from the 1961 film Breakfast at Tiffany’s in a Lancia automobile commercial.
- Prepared comments to the U.S. Department of Commerce on behalf of a Fortune 500 automotive company on a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to add export control on emerging technologies that could impair the company’s strategic cross-border R&D activities in automated driving.
- Assisted a Fortune 500 automotive company in navigating the implications of the Trump Administration’s large scale revisions to NAFTA.
- Assisted a Fortune 500 automotive company in navigating a sensitive inquiry from a Customs agent that arose from the reorganization of the company’s North American operations.
- Provided essential advice to a Fortune 500 automotive company concerning import valuation for a new automobile program which affected the company’s decision on how to declare import values for the vehicles.
- On behalf of a Fortune 500 automotive company, identified a number of areas in the company’s Foreign Trade Zone operations requiring correction in order to comply with U.S. law and worked with the company to implement the new policies.
- Represented a Fortune 500 automotive company in understanding the regulatory and “Buy American” requirements associated with public transit partnerships, including rideshare and vanpool projects.
- Represented a Fortune 500 automotive company in labor trial and class action matters, as well as broad advice and counsel.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for Hyundai Information Services North America in a jury trial, defeating plaintiff's claims for overtime, meal periods, rest periods, and attorney's fees.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for Hyundai Motor America in a jury trial, defeating two plaintiffs' claims for sexual harassment, gender discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, and more.
- Represented Jaguar Land Rover and its mobility services business, InMotion Ventures, in its $25 million investment in Lyft, Inc.
- Represented Jaguar Land Rover and its mobility services business, InMotion Ventures, in its seed investment in SPLT.
- Represented Toyota Motor Sales in connection with various IP licensing agreements.
- Represented Wheel Group Holdings, LLC in its sale of Preferred Units to SEP V TWG Holdings.
- Represented the City of Ontario in its successful effort to regain local control of the Ontario International Airport. The airport had been operated by Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) starting in 1967. The City of Ontario decided to seek a change of control to a local Joint Powers Authority, the Ontario International Airport Authority (OIAA), and retained Sheppard Mullin to pursue litigation to achieve that objective. A lawsuit was filed against LAWA in 2013 and the matter was successfully resolved in 2015. The OIAA has been operating the airport since 2016. Sheppard Mullin attorneys successfully litigated the dispute with LAWA, and assisted the City of Ontario and the OIAA concerning the transition back to local control.
- Provided EU aviation regulatory advice to Atlas Air, Ethiopian Airlines, Gulfstream, Korean Air, Sabena, and United Airlines.
- Provided EU Member States law advice to Korean Air, Sabena, and United Airlines.
- Provided EU State aid advice to Airbus (R&D aid for new helicopter), Brussels Airlines (airport), Cyprus Airways (rescue and restructuring aid), and Olympic Airways (rescue and restructuring; privatization measures).
- Successfully defended of Korean Air in EU air cargo cartel investigation.
- Represented Sikorsky as FCC and government contracts counsel on numerous FCC and spectrum related issues.
- Represented SkyTeam and Star Alliance in EU investigations into worldwide alliances.
Trucking and Logistics
- Represent DHL Express in connection with its leasing, development, and financing of various on-airport distribution facilities across the U.S. including those located at: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Chicago O’Hare International Airport, March Air Reserve Base (Riverside, CA), San Francisco International Airport, and more than thirty other on-airport locations.
- Regularly represent DHL Express and its affiliates in connection with their corporate leasing transactions throughout the U.S., including retail facilities, office locations, and distribution facilities of all sizes, including a number of on-airport properties.
- Represented DHL Express and its affiliates in several large bankruptcy cases in which it is a creditor and have addressed its right to liens and to payments under first day orders. Cases have included General Motors, Delphi, Eastman Kodak, Sun Edison, Takata and others.
- Represented DHL Express and FedEx in complex EU and competition law cases before the EU courts.
- Represented Fulcrum Capital in the acquisition financing of Total Transportation Services, Inc. and Seattle Freight Services, Inc.
- Represented Gryphon Investors in its acquisition of Nolan Transportation Group, one of the largest and fastest-growing non-asset freight brokerages in the U.S.
- Represented Gryphon Investors in its acquisition of Transportation Insight LLC, a leading provider of enterprise logistics and transportation brokerage services.
- Represented Knight Transportation in Washington State Supreme Court arguing to preserve employer’s ability to utilize commission and piecework compensation structures.
- Represented Roehl Transport in various cases involving allegations of discrimination and retaliation.
- Represented Roehl Transport in various cases involving non-competition and theft of trades secrets.
- Defeated class certification for Swift Transportation in several wage and hour putative class actions.
- Represented Swift Transportation in various cases involving allegations of discrimination and retaliation, non-competition and trade secrets, and wage and hour class action matters.
- Daily Journal, June 4, 2019
- Global Legal Chronicle, May 23, 2019